Monday, August 14, 2006

A Rare Foray Into Questionnaires

I normally don't go in for these despite loving lists, but (en)gender tagged me with this book survey, and here goes:

1. One book that changed your life?

Welcome to the Monkey House
by Kurt Vonnegut. I was always a big reader as a kid, but reading these stories during algebra class in tenth grade (sorry, educators) gave me the bug to try my hand at writing them. I'm not saying this was a positive change, mind you, but it qualifies.

2. One book you have read more than once?

All the Pretty Horses
by Cormac McCarthy.

3. One book you would want on a desert island?

This one.

4. One book that made you laugh?

Home Land by Sam Lipsyte and Money by Martin Amis. (Sorry to cheat, but not many books make me laugh out loud, so might as well name two.)

5. One book that made you cry?

The Brothers K
by David James Duncan

6. One book you wish had been written?

I’d like to see a comprehensive, page-turning(ish) history of horse racing from ancient times to the present day.

7. One book you wish had never been written?

I’ve seen people (including my tagger) answer The Bible for this one, and though the anti-religionist in me sees their point, I just can’t imagine banishing so much from the English language. No, for me the answer is The Truth About Diamonds “by” Nicole Richie because, like that old joke about a lawyer at the bottom of the ocean, it would be a good start.

8. One book you are currently reading?

Fear and Trembling by Kierkegaard.

9. One book you have been meaning to read?

One? Are you kidding? Well, to choose at random -- Richard Ellmann’s biography of Oscar Wilde.

10. Now tag five people.

I’m not going to tag anyone, but if any of my blogger-readers want to post on their sites, I’d be happy to see their answers. Anyone else with choices to share is encouraged to visit the comments section, as always, where battles are waged, friendships are cultivated, and refreshments are served.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home