Thursday, August 10, 2006

Mean Green Machine

I'm legitimately excited that they're finally releasing The Incredible Hulk TV series on DVD. And yes, I'm going to buy it, and yes, I'm going to pray that it holds up just a little bit.

The Hulk comics were one of my first passionate reading experiences -- a clear early indicator of what has become a refined taste in literature -- and I thought the TV show did a much better job than that horrid Ang Lee movie of getting at the mundane existential dilemma at the heart of the story. Now that I think of it, my own vague-but-real wanderlust might have been largely shaped by watching David Banner traipse off towards another town at the end of each episode.


The show had a great introduction each week. It includes the classic line -- "You wouldn't like me when I'm angry" -- as well as the implication that to grow "angry or outraged" enough to transform, Banner only needs to change a tire in the rain. Awesome. But really, it also has a closing split-screen image that still gets to me. Check it out:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite part of Hulk is the music. That sad, haunting piano melody as he always hitches his way into next week's episode. He really was the loneliest man alive. And Hulk v. Bigfoot is classic camp.

- Kraig

12:06 AM  
Blogger Jenks said...

I don't know if I'm ready for this.

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home