Sunday, May 09, 2010

"Part of that’s a girl thing, honey..."

For Mother's Day, via my buddy Dan Carlson's Facebook page, a funny, touching video in which a conversation between a mother and her son (a 7th-grader who has Asperger's syndrome) is set to animation. It's really great. Enjoy:



Also for today, my friend Alysia reads a moving essay she wrote about her mother (who died when Alysia was just two), being raised by her poet father, and raising her own two beautiful children. The link includes an incredible photo (especially if you know her) of Alysia as a child on the cover of one of her father's books. Enjoy.

3 Comments:

Blogger figment said...

aww, thanks. that left a wee lump in my throat.

9:28 PM  
Blogger Barbara Carlson said...

He is so articulate. Makes a wonderful change from the OMG every other word from most kids. I think he'll do just fine, esp. with a mother like that & his quality (not quantity) friends.

A frustrated high-school teacher I know wrote alongside a student's essay in English composition: "Your vocabulary is mean and impoverished, but perfectly adequate to express your thoughts."

8:18 AM  
Blogger JMW said...

Yes, that mother is very "smart and savvy" -- my own mother's words. I think he'll do just fine, too.

And your friend's comment on the student's essay is priceless; thanks for sharing it.

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home