Sunday, September 17, 2006

The Secret Lives of Jelly Jars

I was a pretty big fan of Miranda July's movie Me and You and Everyone We Know. She has a collection of short stories coming out next year, and I imagine one of them is "Something That Needs Nothing," which was featured in last week's issue of The New Yorker. It's about two young women, the unrequited love of one for the other, and working in a sex shop. It's about more than that, actually, but that recap serves my purpose here. You should read the whole thing, and if you plan to, don't read what's below, because it spoils what I thought was the funniest line in the story. This is the narrator talking about her new job at Mr. Peepers Adult Video Store and More:
The "and More" part was in the back. Allen left me there with a woman named Christy. She was sitting in a green plastic patio chair and wearing a pink OshKosh overall dress. Looking at the sturdy brass overall fasteners, I wondered if everything familiar was actually part of a secret sexual underworld. Christy showed me into a booth and began packing dildos and bottles and strings of beads into a sporty Adidas bag. Her tools were laid out on an old flowery towel that smelled like my grandmother. She wrapped the towel around a small empty jelly jar.

"What's that for?" I asked.

"Pee."

Even pee was in on this.

1 Comments:

Blogger Midi Grrrl said...

I wasn't going to read the book but now I will, if I can find it.
Cheers for posting that.
M.

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home