Friday, September 15, 2006

Please Make it Stop

If Katie Couric started a blog, imagine how vapid it would be. Are you imagining a level of vapidity? Good. Now, triple it.
Visiting the White House is always a humbling experience. I’m always in awe of the history those walls have witnessed. And I was impressed by the respect President Bush has for the place. He even told one of our producers “Straighten your tie, young man. You’re in the White House.” I loved that.

Needless to say, it was what we call in the business, a crash. (That means there was very little time to put the interview together!)
And here's a great moment on the comments board of the blog. A viewer writes (if "writes" isn't too strong a word):
I ENJOY THE WAY YOU PRESENT THE NEWS HOWEVER ITHINK THAT IS A LACK OF RESPECT TO SEAT ON THE DESK. I AM TRYING TO TEACH MY CHILDRENS GOOD MANNERS.
(Via Pop Candy)

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Nick said...

Couldn't CBS have hired Pauly Shore instead? He can't be doing anything.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Jamal Alsaffar said...

Ouch. The necessary result of news that is read by those who no longer write it.

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Then he turned to me and said, 'My, my! You're all grown up! Now, are you Mary-Kate, or Ashley?'"

3:24 PM  
Blogger lmha said...

Geez, you people are cynical. I like Katie Couric. So shoot me. And she's the ONLY woman to ever hold the anchor position without a co-anchor. I read her blog. I didn't find it to be totally vapid. I thought it was just what it was--the personal reflections of a person starting a new job. What should her blog be? A commentary on politics? Isn't there enough of that on the internet? I say, Yay Cute People.

9:41 PM  
Blogger JMW said...

Oh, Laurie. Cynical??

I just wish the ONLY woman to ever hold the position could write at something higher than a third-grade level. I don't think she's been much better on air. I've never had a thing against cute people, but I really can't stand Couric -- couldn't even stand her on the Today show, which (ostensibly) requires much less gravitas. Anyway, we'll agree to disagree, eh?

4:50 PM  
Blogger Jamal Alsaffar said...

John,

Don't feel too bad. I'm one of the ones on the receiving end of my wife's comment. We agree to disagree all the time. Of course, I'm usually agreeing to be wrong. But not on this one. Whether you like Couric or not, her blog stank and (more informally) stunk.

Why shouldn't we expect a bit more quality from a journalist headlining a major news network?

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home