Thursday, March 09, 2006

Saletan Strikes Again

It might be wrong to conclude on only the evidence of a few essays, but if I could choose my first partner in an intellectual battle royal, I think I'd pick William Saletan. His piece about the pro-choice movement on Slate today is open-minded and thought-provoking, two of the last adjectives you'd use to describe the larger cultural debate about the subject.

He also, though, just has a great way with a phrase. At one point, he writes "...I'm not a lefty," and then he sums up one of the maddening reasons why I've always come to the same conclusion about myself:
Liberals treat judgment the way conservatives treat sex: forbid it, except when you're doing it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, writing an essay about the entire Left based on one's meeting with "FIFTY leaders of pro-choice and feminist groups" is perhaps not the least judgmental act I, personally, can think of.

3:06 PM  
Blogger JMW said...

Well, defending Saletan, since he's my main concern here: I thought he used the meeting as a jumping-off point for broader analysis. (Yes, he got in some jabs at the attendees, but it's hardly a hit piece about them.)

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home