Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Five Songs, Chapter Three

So, The Onion has a recently developed feature in which they ask an entertainer to set their iPod on shuffle and talk about the first 10 songs that appear. And that's an OK idea, which I've seen other bloggers adopt, but it seems like the main benefit of its structure is to trip on some embarrassing stuff. I prefer my method of choosing five songs every now and again, because it's targeted. I'm recommending them enthusiastically, not randomly.

I do understand the rubber-necking desire to see some bad stuff, though, so I'll get that out of the way in one fell swoop. Here are a few songs that I should undoubtedly be ashamed of having on my person at nearly all times: "Total Eclipse of the Heart" by Bonnie Tyler. "Never Surrender" by Corey Hart. "Too Young to Fall in Love" by Motley Crue. "I Remember You" by Skid Row (though I will go to my grave unapologetically loving this song. Some things learned at 13 can't be unlearned.)

But out of 5,000 songs, that's pretty much it. Anything else you might find embarrassing (including certain songs by the Dixie Chicks) -- well, you're wrong. I would explain why, but there's not time. On to the latest five songs:

"Pills" by The Perishers

Aside from a couple of songs, I can't take too much Coldplay. So when I'm in the mood for their quieter sound, I've been listening to these guys lately. This is a duet about, surprise, a couple that's not doing so great (see the Nick Hornby excerpt below). The woman isn't a member of the band, and that's too bad; her voice is beautiful. The chorus captures the mood:

One may think we're all right
But we need pills to sleep at night
We need lies to make it through the day
We're not OK

"Give a Man a Home" by Ben Harper

Hypnotic.

"Circle Dream" by 10,000 Maniacs

Ditto.

"Perfect Situation" by Weezer

Because after seeing the video for it about 8,000 times on VH1 while getting ready in the morning (yes, I toggle between that and the network morning shows; a man's got to have his rituals), I finally downloaded it. This might mean I've turned into a cable-TV-controlled zombie, but if that's the case, I'm a zombie with one more damn catchy song on its iPod.

"Girl on the Train" by Chris Mills

Because it's only 53 seconds long, but it's still great, and I know you can all use more efficiency in your lives.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home