Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Wait, I Think I See Her... Is That Her...? Dammit!

You can file this under Cool Art or Cool Mind-F*&@ing, or both, but Jason Salavon is creating strange images from our cultural detritus.

He takes, for instance, 100 shots of newlyweds or kids posing with Santa, and using some techno-jimmer-jammer, transforms them into a composite image.

In one instance, he takes the top 10 all-time videos on MTV and, well, I'll let him explain:
Each of the videos in the top 10 of this list were digitized in their entirety and the individual frames were simplified to their mean average color, eliminating overt content. These solid-colored squares were then arranged in their original sequence and are read left-to-right, top-to-bottom.
Now, like you (I assume), I don't know what the hell that means. But check out "Smells Like Teen Spirit." Even in digitized, overt-content-less form, Nirvana rocks!

Most disturbingly, one might even say unpatriotically, Salavon has turned a decade's worth of Playboy centerfolds into a smudgy blob. For shame.

I recommend cruising around the site. It contains more sexual material, in blurred, asexual form, and even an image that represents the "overall luminosity" of every frame in Star Wars. I'm not advocating drug use, but I imagine being high wouldn't hurt right about now.

(I found Salavon's site through the pretty great blog run by Seattle's The Stranger.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home