Saturday, February 25, 2006

A Pale, Pale Copy

I never went through the obsessive Led Zeppelin phase that probably 95% of guys do, but I like them enough, and I love the song "Tangerine." So I looked for it on iTunes just now, and they only have a cover version of it done by...Great White. On a Disappointment Scale of 1 to 10, even for a lukewarm Zeppelin follower like myself, that's got to be a 47.

Everyone knows Great White because of the tragic fire at one of their shows a few years back, but did you know they also once started a bizarre desert-based militia that hoarded traffic signs? Seriously. Check it out:

6 Comments:

Blogger Dezmond said...

"Tangerine" is a great song. There is a cover of the song by Big Head Todd & The Monsters that is outstanding. You ought to find that one if you can.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Dezmond said...

And wait a minute. Did you just scoff at it immediately, or did you give the White a chance?

10:24 AM  
Anonymous PF said...

JW: I'm not a guy, but I went through a long and intense Zeppelin phase, and although I got rid of all my vinyl (which had these obscure phrases -- studio inside jokes, I think -- etched in the smooth half-inch near the center), I recently revisited the old obsession long enough to get at least a few CDs. So please, for the love of God, stay away from the Great White, and I'll see if I have "Tangerine" for you.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Dezmond said...

You see, you both (JW and PF) are making assumptions. Have either fo you given Great White a chance with this tune? It could be the greatest cover since Hendrix did Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower", you never know until you listen to it. Perhaps they have taken it in new and exciting directions, turned it into an epic jazz-rock exploration? I'm just speculating here, but you shouldn't judge a tune before you've given it a fair listen.

1:44 PM  
Blogger JMW said...

"Dezmond," stop it. You must be having a slow day at work. No ambulances to chase or something. I listened to the 30 seconds that were available on iTunes, and I honestly didn't realize why I did until just now -- I must have subconsciously known you would pull this stunt. Anyway, their version is terrible. Their singer is just awful. His voice is flatter than a Kansas highway.

2:59 PM  
Blogger Dezmond said...

That is all I ask...that you give it a chance. The Big Head Todd version is great, though.

3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home