Friday, September 25, 2009

Baseball Playoff Expansion? Hear Him Out.

I don’t say this very often, believe me, but I think Peter Gammons is on to something here. He suggests the possibility of expanding the baseball playoffs . . . but wait. Pure expansion would be mad. I’m one of those purists still upset by the wild card. But Gammons’ plan would call for two teams to qualify for a wild-card play-in series, two out of three:
For years, folks have tried to punish the wild-card team and make winning the division more important. Well, if you use up a pitching staff on the weekend to get to a Tuesday or Wednesday divisional series, there is a serious disadvantage.
More excitement for more cities, but a disadvantage for the eventual wild card winner. I like it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home