Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Time Capsule

Sometime last month, I watched The War Room, the 1993 documentary about Bill Clinton's first presidential campaign. It's interesting as an artifact, but doesn't hold up all that well -- it seems like the innovative part of the campaign was...being around to respond to smears. I imagine the Internet has changed things exponentially, because watching this felt a bit like watching a campaign from the 1800s. As a visual time capsule, it's priceless, so I want to share a few stills.

The movie features a few scenes of Bill Clinton L.W.C. (Listening While Chewing), like so:


There's James Carville making silly faces, of course:



I think a lot of us in the '90s felt at the time like we wouldn't look as silly from the future as other generations did. Well, to that argument, I say, "This guy":


Weirdly, out of nowhere, and just for a moment, there's Tobey Maguire's doppelganger:


And then we have the runaway winner in the category of Person Most Likely To Spend The Rest Of Their Life Hunting Down And Burning Every Last Copy Of The War Room, Ms. Chelsea Clinton:

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Kelsy said...

I had to watch this in high school and all I really remember is that George Stephanopoulos looks 12 in his jean jacket with a popped up collar.

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home