Friday, January 23, 2009

Celebrities Inspiring (Hatred)

I pledge to differentiate between those who are silly and those who inspire silliness in others. And there is no question that Obama has inspired some nuclear-grade silliness. We can start (and please, let's end, too) with this video of celebrities doing what they seem most evolutionarily adapted to do -- make smug jackasses of themselves.

Unsurprisingly, the most annoying participants are Demi Moore, Ashton Kutcher, Cameron Diaz, and Anthony Kiedis, but there's plenty of enmity to spread around. The only one who escapes with his dignity intact is the charming Jason Bateman. Everyone else gets an F, even my beloved Marisa Tomei. ("Integrate into my heart..."?? Come on, Marisa.)

Are these all terrible ideas? No. Could the good ones (like turning off the lights, or taking care of old people, or planting trees) just as easily have been trumpeted anytime over the past eight years, or the past 50? Of course. Will Demi Moore and Cameron Diaz pledging to "smile more at people" make a shred of difference to any problem, great or small, currently plaguing the world? I'll bet the under.

With the volume turned down, watching the parade of argyle pullovers and cotton button-ups, this would undoubtedly be confused for the world's longest Gap ad. If only.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That kind of pisses me off. Shouldn't we want to do these things regardless of who is in office. Why weren't these people wanting to do these things when Bush was in office. When we REALLY needed it. And I seriously doubt they will be doing any of the things that "pledge" anyway. Hollywood you are a waste of space...

2:23 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

I made it about 2 minutes in before all my irritated eyerolling lead to a severely sprained eyeball. The lefty smugfest is the only downside for me of the Obama victory.

9:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

But on the other hand, you've got Robert Downey, Jr. Here's his quote after he found out that he was nominated for an Oscar for his role in Tropic Thunder as an Aussie method actor playing a black man:

"It's about time narcissistic, accolade-seeking idiotic actors were formally recognized," Downey deadpans about his nomination, speaking from the Brooklyn, N.Y., set of "Sherlock Holmes." "It's been a long, hard road for us."

http://theenvelope.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-oscardowney23-2009jan23,0,165771.story

My mancrush on this guy grows by the second.

-- MattM

1:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't even get through this douchebaggery. This is the kind of thing that makes people hate liberals, so thanks a lot, smuggies. Ug. I pledge to eat lunch today, how's that for a pledge? I had to yell shut up and click stop.

1:23 AM  
Blogger figment said...

Nothing original to say, but I'm astounded by the misery of this vid. Talk about a backfire, I wanted to throw my computer across the room when miss-smiles-too-much-as-it-is pledged to smile more. In the interest of my computer, I didn't make it any further. Irrelevant and embarrassing.

8:55 PM  
Blogger Dezmond said...

That was awesomely bad. Jason Bateman was great, though. My favorites were the ones that said "I pledge to continue...", like they are already doing enough great things for the world so there is no room for improvement. And Demi Moore is going to end slavery in the 21st century.

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home