Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Faces from the Past

My mom made a wonderful Labor Day dinner for me, and afterward we scrummaged through some old family pictures for the first time in a while. Always fun (if a bit chilling, vis-a-vis my haircuts, eyeglasses, T-shirt selections, etc.)

Some of the photos were quite old, from early in the last century. Here are a few to give you a sense. I post them because I think old shots like these are fascinating (poignant, creepy, and edifying all at once), and because no one in them is recognizable or still alive (we don't even know who some of them are):



3 Comments:

Blogger Suma said...

Hey, the pictures are very very cute and very attractive and natural..

cheers,
suma valluru
-----------------------------------------
http://www.rhinestonetshirts.net/

2:48 AM  
Blogger lmha said...

Very interesting. Sometimes i go into flea market shops and you'll see baskets full of old family photos like this--no one knows who they are, and the photos are for sale for like 10 cents. I guess restaurants buy them, or old hotels, who knows. but it's always so sad to me that people can be totally lost to history, even within their own families. I guess that happens with 99.9% of human beings, but I hope it doesn't happen to me.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have a bunch of super old family photos and photo albums, too. I've always been fascinated by them.
And eventually I began collecting found photos too.
The best most tangible realization of the humbling yet unique and special human experience is fulfilled/portrayed and honored in a photograph. We are fleeting, memories are fluid, but photographs are fixed.
You speak to me.
Thanks again,
as ever,
KO

2:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home