Monday, September 24, 2007

Back to Basics

I don't know what sick souls look forward to the "Style Issue" of The New Yorker, which appeared again last week, but I hope to never meet them. If I already know them, but they're keeping their fondness for this issue secret from me, they should continue harboring their illicit love. I don't wanna know.

This week, the magazine focuses on fall books, much more suited to its strengths. There's Louis Menand on the Beats and On the Road, John Updike on Ann Patchett's new novel, James Wood's first piece as a staff writer (on a new translation of the Psalms), and a couple of movies reviewed by Anthony Lane for grade-A dessert. I haven't even started reading it yet, but I'm just saying; you might want to pick up a copy so we can discuss.

1 Comments:

Blogger steve on the slow train said...

Amen to your remarks on the Style issue. But I'm a sucker for virtually anything about the Beats, so I'm looking forward to the issue.

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home