Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Five Songs, Chapter Twenty

This feature has been absent for a while, and not one person has asked for its return. I choose to take that silence as your passive-aggressive way of asking for another installment. As you wish:

"How My Heart Behaves" by Feist

The entirety of her latest is worth the price, but this is the one I've been listening to while falling asleep these days. Is that sharing too much?

"Why Should I Cry For You" by Sting

Maybe because it's not always about you, Gordon.

"Til I Hear it From You" by Gin Blossoms

I frequently argue that the Gin Blossoms are one of the more underrated pop bands of the past 15 years or so. I frequently find myself getting looked at with a mixture of pity and horror. The relationship between these two trends is being studied.

"First Night" by The Hold Steady

You should be listening to The Hold Steady as often as possible. I'm going to keep saying this until everyone in America hears me and obeys. Given my current traffic patterns, that should happen sometime around the year 3089. Someone might have to take over this duty for me at some point.

"Amazing Grace" by Aretha Franklin

Off of the double-disc gospel record of the same name, on which Aretha makes hardcore agnostics like myself look really, really silly over and over again. If Aretha sings it, it must be true. Right?

PS -- On a related and developing note, the Starbucks I'm in is currently playing a different Aretha record, and as soon as I finished writing the above, a crazy-ish elderly woman a couple of tables over leaned toward the teenage boy next to her and said, "I hope they turn off that screaming. I like music, but I can't stand that screaming." Heathen!!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger gunter said...

Please be happy in the knowledge that you have completely converted me to The Hold Steady and I am spreading your gospel. I have already made one disciple and the quest continues..

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fine, I'll admit it. [looks around sheepishly] I absolutely love "Big Machine" by the Goo Goo Dolls. I listen to it all the time. It gets me all excited and stuff.

Feel free to commence the mockery. But if it helps at all, I've finally downloaded The Hold Steady.

- comish

11:44 PM  
Blogger Future Man said...

It's almost 4 years removed from the Gin Blossom lineup disbanding, and each member having already latched onto some form of bubblegum-country-power pop in the Phoenix area, with guitarist Scott Johnson going the way of Southwestern safe-bet Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers. I went to university in Tucson, AZ, where a friend of mine was the cousin of THE Roger Clyne (of Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers fame). In the spirit of familial support, Mr Clyne and the Peacemakers performed a backyard concert at his cousin’s graduation party, which turned out to be a great show featuring a few Gin Blossom covers for good measure.
After the concert, Scott Johnson was gangfully forced to perform a Frat-tastic feat known as a keg stand to the enjoyment of his new found fans. About 10 seconds in, his face became ghostly pale and his body went completely flaccid. We tried to slowly lower his feet back onto the ground, but it was as if his head was trying to race them there. He remained bent over for another 5 seconds breathing heavily. Once his vision became parallel to the ground again, a stream of vomit scattered over the keg and onto any on looker’s legs within three feet. I believe the only word that he spoke afterwards was, “…shit…”
Would it be too much to ask irony’s acknowledgement in a situation where you are looked at with both pity and horror for enjoying the Gin Blossoms, while I looked at a Gin Blossom with both pity and horror for enjoying himself?

By the by…first time reader, and I am now completely engrossed in your entire catalog of work. Thank you for being a writer.

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home