Friday, March 16, 2007

Who Needs a Vacation, Anyway?

Apologies for the blurry shot, but this was the arrivals board at the airport today:


That third column, the one in yellow, says "canceled" from top to bottom, and the departures board didn't look much different. After a week of very spring-like weather, today winter returned with a vengeance, as if to say, "Easy now, there's a reason they're playing baseball in Florida and Arizona for the next few weeks." Oh, right.

So, after six incredibly pleasant hours at the airport, my flight, one of the only four or five that, for some mystifying reason, they left open as "possible" for much of the day, was officially called off. An announcement followed that, due to the flurry of cancellations, all flights to Dallas were booked through Monday.

I miss a friend's wedding because of this turn of events, which is very disappointing. Funny -- I hate to fly even when I never leave the ground. The day's only saving grace was the half hour of Ms. Pac Man I squeezed in at the terminal, wowing a few adolescent onlookers who were waiting to leave for Chicago. I note this only because I thought this post needed a label...

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Desmond said...

I appreciate your efforts to make it down here, John. Chalk this one up in the advantages column of Texas over NY. Travel is generally not effected weather cnditions down here. Unless you live on the gulf coast and a massive hurricane is coming your way and then you have to get on the highway and flee like a refugee out of Houston...I digress. Generally, weather not a problem.

The wedding was awesome, we all missed you, but we will see you soon.

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home