Sunday, February 11, 2007

An Inconvenient Truth: The Grammys Suck

I just caught two minutes of the Grammys, and it left me supremely confident that I was right to skip the rest of the show, as I do every year. First, I saw (and unfortunately heard) the last few seconds of a song by the Red Hot Chili Peppers (I cannot stand the Red Hot Chili Peppers), then Al Gore and Queen Latifah awkwardly stepped out and spouted double meanings about the "musical environment" before awarding Best Rock Album. Nominees included Tom Petty and Neil Young. This year starts with a 2, right? I'm not mistaken about that? Anyway, the Chili Peppers won it, and I turned off the set. I like watching the Oscars every year, even though they're silly, but the Grammys -- I really think they're toxic.

Oh, but I guess The Police were reuniting for the start of the show. Maybe that was interesting on some level, but probably not. Did anyone catch it?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How true. I about threw up when Red Hot Chilli Peppers won. How did that happen? Anyone else in that category, and I would have been happy. The whole thing sucked big time. 1/2 overdone lame tributes and 1/2 some stupid contest to sing with Justin Timberlake. How sucky can you get. It just makes me so sad because I love music so much.

1:09 AM  
Blogger Nathan said...

It was nice to see The Police back at it but I was really hoping that they would play more than just "Roxanne". John Mayer, John Legend, and Corinne Bailey Rae sang three songs with each other but The Police were only given three minutes.

Great idea folks.

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the police were a disappointment. they just looked really old and like they were trying too hard. why can't people just leave the past alone? why must we keep poking?

11:11 AM  
Blogger Dan Carlson said...

I need someone to differentiate song/record/album of the year for me.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I just saw some nonsense on "CBS Sunday Morning" about how the Grammys don't suck. That's such palpable nonsense that I put "why the Grammys suck" into Google--this is one of the first hits. The Grammys suck, and you are quite right to point this out. The Grammy awards are to "music" as a pimp is to sex--a loathsome creature to be shunned.

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe they should change their model and actually listen to new music, not just what is chewed up and spit out by the corporate music world.

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home