Thursday, January 04, 2007

Say What?

If anyone has had the chance to read Adam Gopnik's piece about football in this week's New Yorker, can you answer a question that I ask in earnest: What the hell is he going on about?

I'm used to them giving Roger Angell several pages to pleasingly ramble about baseball at the end of each season, but this Gopnik effort is something else entirely. It seems like 489 separate thoughts about football (two and a half of them original) glued together for no particular purpose. I guess if I had to summarize it, it would go something like this:

"I got to stand near Joe Namath with a notepad. I like the Jets. Football's complicated. Watching on TV is OK, but different than watching in person. Other people like baseball. Sports are different than they used to be, but I'm not sure how. Oh, I recently read Michael Lewis' book. Some football players make more money than others. Life after football can be hard. Stadiums represent something about the human condition. Most people root for a specific team. Sports can be seen as an analogy for life. The end."

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger JMW said...

Yeah, I liked his stuff on Paris, but I've been enjoying him less since he got back to New York.

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home