Monday, October 02, 2006

First Impression: Studio 60

I saw about seven minutes of “Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip” tonight, and I don’t think I’m going to be a big fan, even though I loved Aaron Sorkin’s last two shows, “Sports Night” and “The West Wing.” First of all, it’s filmed almost exactly like “The West Wing,” from the camera movement to the lighting to the tenor of the actors’ interactions. I know it was a successful formula, but come on. Throw in a small difference, just to humor us. (The similarities between “Sports Night” and “The West Wing,” while definitely present, didn’t seem nearly as exact.)

More importantly, though, the very first scene I saw involved a writer on the fictional show (modeled after “Saturday Night Live,” for those of you reading this from under various rocks) defending the removal of a joke because of the way it unnecessarily demeans hardworking middle Americans. And I realized two things: 1. That Sorkin was going to awkwardly airlift some of the earnest political discussion from his previous project into the new one; and 2. That “Studio 60” is probably going to be 20 times better than “Saturday Night Live,” and therefore kind of absurd. In other words, if I thought for a second that the folks at SNL were taking their job as seriously as Sorkin is taking it, I’d have an easier time keeping a straight face while watching “Studio 60.”

That’s just an initial take.

4 Comments:

Blogger JMW said...

I can't tell either, so don't feel bad.

I agree about Peet, and about Sorkin (I really, really liked thos last two series). So I'm sure I'll be fine with it. That kill-the-joke-to-save-the-Midwesterners'-feelings was just a strange entry point -- it was literally the first thing I saw, and it just rang terribly false. I'm sure in the flow of an episode, I would have overlooked it more.

Can you tell I have too much time on my hands?

5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your take is right on, John, and
I watched the whole thing (but had
trouble staying away towards the end).

8:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I meant to say I had trouble staying "awake"...
sorry.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Mrs. White said...

Personally, I liked the pilot a lot, but the last two episodes have been just okay. Like you said, the actors on the show seem to take their job so damned seriously that it seems a bit silly to me; they're supposed to be comedians after all - shouldn't they be joking around all the time?

But, with that said, the show does seemt to be better than 70% other shows.

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home