Monday, July 31, 2006

The Good Movie Club

It's been a while since I've resorted to a list of favorites, which is always a handy way to take up some space and get all of you chattering. So, here are 26 (to embrace randomness) movies I love. They're in no particular order, though the top 10 are pretty much in their appropriate place at the bottom of the list, ending with my favorite. I've added some good/memorable lines from some of the choices for illustrative purposes. Feel free to make fun of me in the comments for not having enough foreign films (I've seen my share, but always have trouble choosing my favorites), or for having too many comedies, or for ignoring The Godfather (I'm not going for historical accuracy here; these are just the movies I would put on a loop if I had to narrow things down).

Hud

Ferris Bueller's Day Off
("Here's where Cameron goes berzerk.")

Withnail & I

Glengarry Glen Ross


Badlands

Kicking and Screaming
(Noah Baumbach, not Will Ferrell/Mike Ditka)

Before Sunrise


Four Friends

Doctor Zhivago

Empire of the Sun

Sideways


Of Mice and Men

The Breakfast Club

("PB&J with the crusts cut off.")

The Princess Bride
("But, you've also bested my Spaniard, which means you must have studied, and in studying you must have learned that man is mortal...")

Swingers

Diner

The Best of Youth


Manhattan
("Well, a satirical piece in the Times is one thing, but bricks and baseball bats really gets right to the point.")

Bottle Rocket

Back to the Future


Sherman's March

("You've got to kid yourself and you've got to kid her and then you'll both believe it.")

Broadcast News
("I've never seen you like this about anyone, so please don't take it wrong when I tell you that I believe that Tom, while a very nice guy, is the devil.")

This is Spinal Tap
("David, Smell the Glove is here.")

Raising Arizona

("I'm already home, Glen.")

You Can Count On Me

("But I don't want to believe in something or not believe in it because I might feel bad. I want to believe in it or not believe in it because I think it's true or not.")

Annie Hall
("What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!")

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice list. i like the little snapshots you chose for some of them. i've only not seen 5 of these, but i think those 5 are already on my netflix queue.

4:14 PM  
Blogger Mrs. White said...

I loooove Before Sunrise and your post just reminded me how much I wanted to see Before Sunset but I've just never gotten around to it. Time to update the NetFlix queue...

Movies I'd put on a loop? Let's see:

Raising Arizona ("Son, you've got a panty on your head.")

Harold and Maude

Clue ("Men should be like Kleenex; soft, strong and disposable.")

The Royal Tenenbaums

Dead Poets Society

The Big Lebowski ("Donnie, you're out of your element."

Little Women (I'm such a girl)

Pride and Prejudice (I watched this one three times last week alone.)

Say Anything (One of the best movie endings ever.)

There's more, but that's all I can think of right now. Rock.

6:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe UNCLE BUCK isn't on your list. -- Tavia

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

point break? is that a joke?

my favorite spinal tap moment is nigel's "it IS green."

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home