Thursday, June 08, 2006

Pixar Stumbles

I'm not going to lie: I love Pixar movies. Both Toy Story stories, The Incredibles, Finding Nemo, Monsters, Inc.: I didn't think there was a dud in the bunch. That's why I was disappointed when I saw the ads for Cars, which made it look lifeless (and the brevity of those ads suggested they weren't exactly hiding a lot of good stuff). Well, one review isn't the final word, but the Times isn't impressed:
...both in its ingratiating vibe and bland execution, "Cars" is nothing if not totally, disappointingly new-age Disney, the story of a little cherry-red race car, Lightning McQueen (voiced by Owen Wilson), who can win the race of (his) life only after he learns the value of friendship and the curvy appeal of Porsche Carrera (Bonnie Hunt).
Too bad. Nice to see Bonnie Hunt playing a romantic lead, though, even if Hollywood has to anthropomorphize her before realizing she's attractive as a human being.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home