Saturday, April 22, 2006

Two From Kirn (In Case You're Not Going Where I Tell You To Go)

It's been all I can do this week not to link to Walter Kirn's pieces over at Andrew Sullivan's site. I already directed you there earlier, so I figured it would be bad form to remind you so forcefully. But bad form be damned. This piece about the child of Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes (if only their first names could be easily combined into a clever one-word moniker!) is oddly moving. And this piece about modern communication -- or the decay of same -- strikes a particular chord with me because I was very recently interviewed by someone writing an article about men who have never owned a cell phone. I think I was one of two in New York City who the reporter found; the other is on my floor at work. We're keeping it old-school in the publishing biz, conveying messages mostly by a two-step process involving Teletype and well-trained pigeons. Next step is to up the three-martini lunch to four.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't the Tom Cruise - Katie Holmes combo known as "TomKat"?

12:05 PM  
Blogger JMW said...

Yes, TomKat. I was being sarcastic. I imagine you are, too?

5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home