Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Trip to Broadway

I'm a bit of a navel-gazer, but this blog gives the impression that I never leave the apartment. Would that it were true (I'm not a great traveler). But in fact, I'm not always in front of my computer (I didn't even have a computer at home four months ago, which seems impossible) or reading up on the contentious state of affairs between God and lab-coated geeks. Tonight, for instance, I had the pleasure of seeing Well, a Broadway play currently in previews and officially opening on March 30.

I highly recommend it. Having left the theater a couple of hours ago, it's a bit soon to sum up my thoughts, but I'll let two women who were discussing it in the lobby afterwards give you a hint:

Woman #1: That was wild.
Woman #2: Yeah, for a normal theater-goer...
Woman #1: What was that, like, meta-theater?

Pretty much. I imagine that anyone who's under 40 and/or seen five minutes of Arrested Development won't have a problem keeping up. Still, it's a creative effort. The writer, Lisa Kron, plays herself. Jayne Houdyshell is phenomenal as Kron's mother, who suffers from chronic fatigue or some form of depression that she chalks up to "allergies." I found the most moving element to be the consideration of what it means to accept someone's illness as part of who they are. I'm not getting at the heart of what's unique about the production, but it's late and I have a long Archive of the Day to transcribe, so if you want to know more, go here.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My old pal Christina Kirk was in that play doing Joy and other parts. Glad you liked it.

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home