Wednesday, January 27, 2010

"Even make a bag of peanuts seem like the choicest meal."

For this Wednesday, a slight deviation from the norm, but maybe the best thing I've ever posted. This is a radio ad for Coke from the mid-1960s, sung by Otis Redding. And I mean sung. He starts, "A man and a woman / what do they need to have?" and then sings "a place to be together" as soulfully as he ever sang anything, and that's saying something. Maybe it's just because I prefer Coke to all other sodas, but I find this really moving. I'll never drink another brand of soft drink again. Many, many thanks to my friend JR for alerting me to this gem. Enjoy:

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Levi Stahl said...

Roy Orbison did this same jingle around that time, but it didn't quite burn like that.

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home