Monday, September 15, 2008

The List Wishes to Say a Quick Hello: 50-46

I know at least one person who will be upset by this (ahem), but I'm listing this week's five albums quickly below, for two reasons: 1. I'm busy writing about other things. 2. In the case of four of the five artists below, I've either written about them on the list already or will write about them further along in the list, so why double up? The one that won't be mentioned again -- #47 -- is a fairly simple case: It's a record full of terrific, durable pop songs.

50. Billy Joel - Songs in the Attic (1981)

49. Buffalo Tom -- Let Me Come Over (1992)

48. David Gray -- Flesh (1994)

47. Crowded House -- Crowded House (1986)

46. Beatles -- Abbey Road (1969)

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Dezmond said...

Yes, I am a little upset that you have not taken the care to write detailed commentary.

That Billy Joel record is the ONLY record of his that stands the test of time. You can toss the rest of his discography.

You got me into Buffalo Tom awhile ago. Solid rock band. Interesting tidbit: Bill Janovitz of Buffalo Tom wrote the 33 1/3 book on The Rolling Stones' EXILE ON MAIN STREET.

I know David Gray is one of your faves, but I find him rather mediocre. WHITE LADDER is a good record, though.

You make fun of me for holding certain 80's records in too high esteem, yet here you have a Crowded House album in your top 50.

Can't argue with Beatles.

7:06 PM  
Blogger figment said...

i dunno... i think david gray was at his best in the early days before attempts at "modernity" (drum machine and synthesizer) overshadowed his spot-on lyrics. White Ladder ain't too shabby at all, but when i forget to defend my Gray, thoughts of middle aged ladies heading to grocery come to mind. give me Shine or the piratey Afternoon's Debauchery any day... arr, shiver me timbers.

3:06 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

Not to sound like a squealing fangirl here, but I could probably live with just those five albums. That's a really nice set there.

9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home