Thursday, March 20, 2008

When John Met Omar

This afternoon, a good friend and fellow Wire-phile joined me on an excursion to the HBO Shop in midtown. We stood outside, quite cold, for about an hour in order to meet three cast members of The Wire for about 30 seconds. It was totally worth it.

The three actors present were Seth Gilliam, Jamie Hector, and Michael K. Williams -- better known to fans as Carver, Marlo, and Omar.

That's right, I shook Omar's hand. Williams was the most outward and friendly of the three -- big smile (as you can kind of see in the blurry photo below), and appreciative of everyone's compliments. All three were tired. We got to them near the end of a two-hour signing session, which can't be fun.

I now own the DVD of season 4 with all their signatures on it, and I'm all geeky-excited about it. Do I feel morally superior to Trekkies? Sure, but less than I did when I woke up today.

They rushed us through, so my goal of getting great photos was unattainable. Here are the two I managed to get, the blurry one of Williams in his snappy cap, and one of all three actors. I believe I captured Hector while he was applying lip balm. It's possible he did this at his audition, and some casting director turned to another and said, "If this guy can look intimidating while applying lip balm, he's our Marlo."


3 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. White said...

That's so awesome. I'd be trekkie-level excited too!

6:53 PM  
Blogger Kraig Smith said...

Nice! Last week Dianna and I saw Gbenga Akinnagbe (Chris Parlow) in a small theatre production downtown. He was with Gaius Charles (Smash Williams from Friday Night Lights) on a rooftop during Hurricane Katrina. This marked the second time I'd seen him live. The first was during the premiere of The Savages, in which he has a small, but meaty role. Now I just need to catch up and watch the last 5 episodes before I trip over any of your spoilers. And thanks, John. It was shortly after Dianna and I moved here that we met up with you and you gave your full endorsement of The Wire. We became immediate fans...and you've rarely led us astray since.

11:25 PM  
Blogger Kraig Smith said...

P.S. It's been awhile since I've seen you, but I think you're a dead ringer for director James Gray:

http://imdb.com/media/rm2473564928/tt0498399

11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home