Monday, March 17, 2008

Don't Cross the Chicken Nuggets

This short (but I imagine labor-intensive) video is crazy. It's a stop-motion "abridged history of American-centric war, from World War II to present day, told through the foods of the countries in conflict." Um, yeah.

Very Short List, which is where I found it, describes it as "Like some bastard child of the History Channel and the Food Network raised by Comedy Central." That, believe it or not, is exactly right. It reminds me of something I posted to in September 2006 (I know, I've been blogging too long; thanks for the update), a much shorter film of explosions represented by Christmas decorations.

Enjoy the below, if "enjoy" is the right word for something that recreates the events of 9/11 with stacks of hamburgers and fleeing French fries. Normally, I'd find that kind of thing offensive, but the imagination on display here does a lot to overrule the complaint. The film actually ends up feeling profound. Pearl Harbor, the Cuban Missile Crisis, Hiroshima -- it's all here. My favorite moment arrives 2:37 into the movie, when a pile of cheeseburgers and a mound of beef stroganoff dramatize the arms race of the Cold War. Trust me, it's great. (The cowardly croissant is a close second.)

And if you need a guide to what food represents what country, there is one. Even with the guide, it can be hard to keep up. Multiple viewings are recommended.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home