Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Goose

Unless Dad would like to correct me, I believe the first Major League Baseball game I attended was between the Yankees and the White Sox, in the Bronx, sometime in the early '80s. I remember walking through the tunnel to our seats, which were in the upper deck. And it would be hard to think of better seats for a little kid's first game. The initial view of the sprawling field from up there was breathtaking. (Still is, to this baseball sap.)

Anyway, I'm also fairly certain that the game was closed by the Yankees' intimidating relief pitcher Rich "Goose" Gossage. In addition to having an all-time great nickname, Gossage had himself a heck of a career. Now, after nine years of waiting, he's been rightfully elected to the Hall of Fame.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home