Friday, November 09, 2007

Five Songs, Chapter Twenty-Five

"No One" by Alicia Keys

Currently my favorite song on the planet.

I'm serious.

"Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor

My favorite song on the planet when I was eight. I had a crippling Rocky III fixation for a while, and I bought this song on 45. I vividly remember my mother telling me one afternoon, after repeated plays, "Don't wear it out." I thought she meant the grooves on the vinyl might wear away and make the record unplayable. "Can I break it if I play it too much?" I asked in a panic. "No," she replied, "you might just get tired of it." Silly mother, I thought. Tired of "Eye of the Tiger"?!

"Maneater" by Hall & Oates

My favorite song when I inevitably got tired of "Eye of the Tiger."

I'm a sucker for strong bass lines, I guess. (I actually love Hall & Oates to this day.) My mother makes a cameo appearance here, too -- when she saw me watching this video, which featured a woman walking around in stiletto heels, she banned MTV in the house, a rule that actually had some teeth for a while. Watching the video now, I don't see more than a couple of momentary flashes of ankle, and I'm starting to wonder if there was a very brief attempt to raise me Amish.

"Neverending Math Equation" by Sun Kil Moon

A beautiful cover of a song by Modest Mouse. A friend wrote the other day, after discovering this song, to say that it is "the essence of John Williams' music," so I figured it deserved a mention, being the essence and all.

"Nightswimming" by R.E.M.

My favorite song, ever. I've tried not to wear it out. Really. I only listen to it a couple of times a year now, if that. Mom taught me well.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The best Hall & Oates bass line by far is "I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)". And "Family Man". Those two tunes are the pinnacle of Hall & Oates.

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

-Dezmond

4:32 PM  
Blogger Nathan said...

"Nightswimming" was the wedding song, the first song of the reception that just the two of us danced to, for "Mrs. White" and I. There were family members who tried to convince us otherwise... but we refused to listen.

Automatic for the People was the soundtrack to our first date.

8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home