Monday, July 23, 2007

Five Songs, Chapter Twenty-One

Yes, this feature is back. Writing about one song at a time just didn't do it for me. More accurately, it was fine, but I just didn't remember to do it as often as I remember to do five at a time. So, even though no one seems particularly fond of this, deal with it.

"Springfield, IL" by Slobberbone

"I've always said that if we ever overcome the stigma of our name, we'll know that we've truly arrived." That's singer Brent Best, who headed Slobberbone, named for the item that a dog perpetually chews. The band formed in Denton, Texas, and they were something a bit stranger than alt-country. Their best heartfelt, slower songs are very much in the mold of that genre, but they also melded punk rock and hillbilly rock, and weren't afraid to pen some pretty silly lyrics if a line or two might be worth a laugh. This song, off the band's final album, Slippage, is repetitive in the lyrics department, but like so much of the group's work, it rocks.

"Lullaby" by Loudon Wainwright III

Wainwright (Rufus' daddy) recorded songs for the movie Knocked Up. I only remember a couple of them being featured ("Grey in L.A." and "Daughter," both good and both at the end of the movie), but the whole album of music "from and inspired by" the flick is pretty good. "Lullaby" is evidently a new version of an older song of his. It sounds like something Lyle Lovett might record, which is a big compliment.

Various unknown songs by Band of Horses

I saw Band of Horses play a free show at a park in Brooklyn yesterday afternoon, and though I don't know any titles, they played a handful of new songs off their forthcoming album. I think it's going to be a very good one.

"Too Young to Fall in Love" by Motley Crue

I felt old at the Band of Horses show. Not old, really, but just terribly cranky. The words "hipster scum" kept running through my brain as I surveyed the crowd. This wasn't a surprise; the concert was in Williamsburg, the exit point of the city's Hipster Drainage Pipe. I saw at least three people wearing old Motley Crue T-shirts. The back of one read, "The Crue is back, and they've brought the doctor." I assume that's Dr. Feelgood of the Mayo Clinic. In any case, "Too Young to Fall in Love" is a good song.

"Sorry" by Youth Group

A certain someone is rolling her eyes at this one. But while I try to determine where this band falls on the guilty pleasure scale, I'm just enjoying the fact that "Sorry" sounds like a really good James out-take. (OK, that's not going to help the eye-rolling.)

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. White said...

I'm going to do my damnedest to make sure that I get to see Band of Horses when they come to Detroit next month.

I will also try my damnedest to not act like annoying "hipster scum" while I'm there. Since I don't even own a Motley Crue album, much less a t-shirt, I guess that's a start :)

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home