Saturday, November 11, 2006

Marathoners and Nutcakes

Last Sunday, I was heading out to Long Island to visit family and stumbled upon the Brooklyn leg of the New York City Marathon, something I should have sought out before in my six years here, but haven't. As much as I respect the discipline needed to compete (I feel achey after driving 26 miles), I never quite believed it would be thrilling to watch. But the couple of minutes I caught were pretty exhilarating. It looked something like this:


Additional entertainment was provided by this man, who took advantage of the race-induced street closures to stand in the middle of Flatbush Avenue with his sandwich board. The back:


The front:


In case you can't read it, that says:
The
State
of
Jesus
is Coming
Jesusism

He probably means the Rapture, but in case he was hoping for something more earth-bound, I hope Tuesday's election results set him straight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home