Sunday, November 19, 2006

Five Songs, Chapter Fifteen

I talked to a friend today about the logistics of putting up longer sound files, something like a podcast, but I'm not sure if it would technically be a podcast. I'd like to eventually post hourlong blocks of songs up here, fulfilling one of my lifelong dreams: to be a DJ. (Other lifelong dreams include owning a house with a screened-in porch, writing a novel, and becoming comfortable inside my own skin.)

For now, more words about songs:

"Revelator" by Gillian Welch

Late this past summer, I listened to this song with a few people outside a friend's cabin in the middle of nowhere in upstate New York. It was dark, the night was getting cold, and there was a decent-sized fire going. The song was playing from someone's car, since there's no electricity on the premises. Anyway, that's a very nice way to hear this song, but I'd recommend it in just about any setting. Except maybe halftime of a big football game. Not the right vibe.

"Don't Talk" by 10,000 Maniacs (Unplugged version)

A friend in college really liked this song, and despite the fact that I was a fan of the band, I wasn't crazy about it. Then I heard this version, and bingo.

"I Got Stripes" by Johnny Cash

The Folsom Prison version. A short little burst of a song about an inmate, sung to a bunch of applauding, whistling, very appreciative inmates. Good times.

"See A Little Light" by Bob Mould

If you know of a better-constructed pop song, please let me know.

"Back in Black" by AC/DC

There's your song for halftime.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

search youtube for gillian welch and hava listen to Tha Revelator.

Kick ass writeing/thinking my friend. Mmm really enjoyafying.

keep it up

g

10:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

M and I just saw "Walking the Line", so I enjoyed this Johnny Cash reference.... :-) We really liked the movie, though I kept having flashbacks to "Ray." Cash's story is like the white, country-music version: brother who dies young in an accident; crushing guilt and grief; discovery and stardom; miserable wife at home with brood of kids; life on the road with groupies galore; drugs, drugs, drugs; detox accompanied by shakes, sweats and flashbacks; redemption; new love; success and admiration....

12:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home