Saturday, October 14, 2006

Well-Used Tunes

Not to lean too hard on the newly found (for me) Pajiba for material, but I can’t ignore that what I originally wanted to post was something about this, a list (along with helpful YouTube clips) of great uses of music in TV shows and movies.

Yes, he includes something from the train wreck that was Vanilla Sky, and a clip from Magnolia that almost perfectly sums up everything I hated about that movie. But I like most of his choices and, more importantly, they give me an excuse to foist mine on you and solicit your faves.

I couldn’t find clips of these online, so you’ll have to picture them in that helpful head of yours.

I love the use of the Proclaimers’ "Over and Done With" in Bottle Rocket when Dignan takes the white car.... the use of Dean Martin’s "You’re Nobody Till Somebody Loves You" over the opening credits and still photos in Swingers.... "Born Slippy" by Underworld, in Trainspotting -- I believe in a scene where Ewan McGregor is creeping into a room of sleeping people to steal something, but it’s been a long, long time since I saw it.... Elliott Smith’s "Miss Misery" at the end of Good Will Hunting, with the aerial view of his car (Will’s, not Elliott’s) driving along the highway.... Jack Black singing "Let’s Get It On" at the end of High Fidelity.

I must be missing a thousand or so, but those come to me first. As for TV, I mostly (and pathetically) remember a scene in "Family Ties" when Michael J.Fox meets his love interest at a train station to the strains of "At This Moment" by Billy Vera and the Beaters. That was a signal event of my youth. My youth, needless to say, was misspent.

And finally, there’s "The Office" (UK), which is brilliant about everything else, so why not music? I remember during the Christmas special, they used "Back for Good" by Take That and "Only You" by Yaz in a way that made me want to listen to both songs. Now, that’s genius. And of course, they used the Bee Gees and some unaccompanied grunting to masterful effect here (watch the whole thing):

2 Comments:

Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

Vanilla Sky just might be the worst movie I've bothered to see in a theater, though the competition is hot .. I just couldn't figure out what the hell Cameron Crowe was trying to do with that mess

7:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The choice and use of music (both score and outside songs) throughout all of Wes Anderson's movies is nothing short of perfection, but the example selected by Pajiba from Tenenbaums is my favorite.

4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home