Sunday, May 28, 2006

Slowly Catching Up with the Classics

The list of books I haven't read that I should have read is damn near endless, and I'd like to make some small dent in it. To that end, the next two on my docket are Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby and Percy's The Moviegoer. (Yes, I'm sure I was assigned to read Gatsby in high school, and I have some vague memory of its specifics in addition to the way I know it well as a cultural signifier, but please don't underestimate the lack of discipline that I brought to my career as a student. My career as a human being, really.)

After making my choices, I found that people are talking about these two venerable novels, like here and here, so that must be a sign of some type. I'm on the right track.

Meanwhile, over at somewhere i have never travelled, the links to other bloggers, once arranged based on their resemblance to characters on "Lost," have been updated to match literary characters. I'm listed as Nick Carraway. My suspicion is that this is random, but I'm choosing to read it as yet another tea leaf: Gatsby should be next...

4 Comments:

Blogger The Here. And. Now. said...

Gatsby is indeed a classic, however, if you are such an avid reader - may I suggest Headhunter by Timothy Findlay. From reading your writing, I am going to make the assumption that you will appreciate this novel.

12:26 AM  
Blogger Mrs. White said...

I assure you that plenty of thought was given to the literary characters I chose for my links (well, most of them anyway). You strike me as a Nick Carraway for some reason. I suppose you will have to read the book (shame on your previous literature teachers for not making you read it by the way) to see if any connections between you and him actually exist.

7:09 PM  
Blogger JMW said...

Well, like I said, I'm pretty ashamed myself. But I know the gist. I just need to fill in the blanks. In the meantime, I've been distracted by another book. More on that soon.

7:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You will then have to post something with the heading "What makes the great Gatsby great?" meaning the man, not the book.

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home