Sunday, May 28, 2006

Five Songs, Chapter Eight

Has it really been almost a month since I listed five songs that all of you are likely to ignore? Can't have that...

"How to Disappear Completely" by Radiohead

Over drinks with three friends in Dallas a couple of nights ago, one of us (not me, believe it or not) asked the others to name their favorite Radiohead album. The first person responded, "Amnesiac." You don't hear that every day. It reminded me that I never spent much time fairly judging anything by them after OK Computer, so I spent some time with Kid A. I still don't like it nearly as much as their earlier stuff, but there are exceptions, and this song is one of them.

"Wolves" by Josh Ritter

Whenever I'm in Austin, I make a point to stop by my favorite-ever record store, Waterloo, where I'm always tempted by the new releases, which they set up in a very appealing way, and where I always find something obscure to bring home with me (in this case, a live CD of two acoustic concerts by the Trash Can Sinatras in 2004 at the now-sadly-closed club Fez in downtown Manhattan). Where was I? Oh, I also picked up Ritter's latest. I bought his debut years ago after reading a good review, but promptly lost it, so I'm pretty unfamiliar with him. There might be better songs on this new one, but I've only gotten halfway through it. This is the second track, and my favorite so far.

"Inside and Out" by Feist

A cover of a Bee Gees song by a sultry-voiced Canadian. It's the only song I have by her, but I need to get more. Soon.

"Simone and Perry" and "All Her Songs" by Grant McLennan

McLennan was half of the band The Go-Betweens, and he died a few weeks ago at 48. The Go-Betweens have a real cult following, but I've always had trouble getting into the little that I've heard. I really like these two songs, though, off Horsebreaker Star, a solo album that McLennan released in 1995.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

um, little sister of ASWOBA here... I think I know where that Josh Ritter album that you "lost" might be residing these days... >blush< ... er ... sorry! i'd wondered where that disc came from. i'll return it promptly upon returning to the city in july....

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home