Thursday, April 13, 2006

Trying to Avoid a Cheesy Headline, Like "Timber!", and Failing

I can't believe I'm just finding this out now, but it seems that Trees, one of my favorite venues for live music in Dallas, closed a few months ago. I'd heard from friends there that Deep Ellum, the arts-driven neighborhood where most touring bands worth hearing perform, had been plagued (and essentially destroyed) by bizarre and extreme violence over the past couple of years, and this article confirms that. Very sad.

I saw some amazing shows at Trees, which was a very intimate space (if you're in New York, think of the Bowery Ballroom, but with a grungier vibe). It's a list that includes Ben Harper, Dave Matthews Band (I'm not really a fan anymore, but I was at the time, and their live reputation is well earned), the Lemonheads, Elliott Smith, and Whiskeytown. And a few local bands that, looking back, were pretty crappy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home