Thursday, August 12, 2010

Comments Policy

Actual posts to resume soon. The next installment of the movie list -- remember that? -- will be up soon. So will some truly, astoundingly cheesy video clips that I think everyone will love. Et cetera. For now, though...

I've set it so that I have to moderate comments. I came home to a dozen spambot messages on recent posts, and they're a pain in the rump to delete one by one if they've already been posted. I've learned from working on The Second Pass that spambots are the worst thing in the world. Over there, I delete literally thousands of their comments for every one real one that gets posted. (I can delete in bulk, but only 20 at a time, so it's not that tough, but pretty tedious). And spambots are indefatigable. (That's the "bot" part. Robots don't get tired. It's their greatest strength. We were all taught that in grade-school social studies.)

So, if you leave a comment and it doesn't show up immediately, that's why. I'll get to them as quickly as I can, I'm sure within a few hours or so. And who knows, this might not even help; I've already had a word verification on, so perhaps the spambots have just evolved.

4 Comments:

Blogger Barbara Carlson said...

What kind of comments do spambots leave? I've never seen one. Is it generic scat?

7:13 PM  
Blogger Barbara Carlson said...

This is horrible! Can nothing be done? Can you get a fresh blog site, change its name? Do all blogs have to delete this non-, sub-, and semi-human crap?

Seems for every creative action, there is an equal and opposite destructive one -- or a hundred -- (but maybe they don't think they are being destructive, just trying to sell product or themselves...what can these non-specific (if enthusiastic) posts writers want?

8:23 AM  
Blogger Dezmond said...

movie list?

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Riles said...

Yeah, let's get this movie list going again!

And, Barbara, if you want to see some entertaining spambot action, check out the comment section on any of the pajiba.com reviews. It can be some funny stuff.

6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home