Saturday, October 10, 2009

A Rookie's Thoughts on Twitter

If you're up on all things Second Pass (meaning, if you're a true patriot), you know that I recently started a Twitter page for the site. This went against all of my human instincts. So far, though, it hasn't been bad. My motor skills haven't eroded (too much), and I find myself still able to carry on conversations at a college level or better.

A lot of the people I follow on Twitter, so far, are book-related individuals and companies, and they tend to send out a lot of blasts with links to things. I do this, too, so I'm not judging. But I find this can get repetitive. For instance, Hilary Mantel won the Booker Prize, and lots of people posted that she had won it. I find that the medium -- such as it is -- is more fun when it's used by people like writer Dan Kennedy. His Twitter page is a series of aphorisms, like these three recently posted in quick succession:
People fall in love because it makes them feel a little better about themselves.

People break up because it makes them feel a little better about themselves.

People stay single because they feel fine about themselves.
Or my friend Eugene Mirman, whose Twitter page includes these two recent entries:
Congratulations Mr. Obama! You won fair and square, even though I’ve been texting Hamas & Israel requesting peace for weeks.

Good morning Amherst! Can't wait to go downtown & see ten 50somethings holding a vigil to end poverty/ injustice/ Vietnam.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kraig Smith said...

It HAS been strange watching you become an active participant on Twitter, but good to see you're not a stubborn enough person to adapt to certain technological realities. We both have our issues with Twitter, but it still does come down to choice---follow those of interest, ignore those that aren't. About the best thing I can say about Twitter thus far is that I've gotten more major news scoops FASTER through Twitter than through my usual channels. True, I'm not sure how important it is to know 12 minutes before everyone else that Patrick Swayze is dead, but there you have it.

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home