Thursday, February 26, 2009

"Not many girls can climb the pole."

Light day around here, as I try to get the project I mentioned yesterday in shape for takeoff. But I will give you this, which you very well may have seen already: Mickey Rourke's acceptance speech at the Independent Spirit Awards. He curses 15 times, but it seems like a lot more than that. I could be convinced, pretty easily, that the Academy saw this and thought, "Holy crap, Sean Penn is the safe pick to have on stage," and fixed the results accordingly. What I find charming about this is that he's not willfully being vulgar or rude. He doesn't even seem to find anything odd about what he's saying. And there's not anything really odd about it, except that it's not prepackaged, PR-department-approved copy. If more speeches were like this, awards ceremonies wouldn't have the reputation for stultifying that they do. Enjoy:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd rather be stultified than listen to that.
What a creep!

11:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

at least he is not boring

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home