Friday, January 30, 2009

Ellipses

Ron Rosenbaum decides that Billy Joel is due for a fresh round of critical punishment. I think he's wrong, and I'll be responding at length here or elsewhere soon. . . . If there is a better combination of comical and sad than cemeteries that have been surrounded by parking lots, I'm not sure I want to know about it. . . . Mel Brooks famously said, "Tragedy is when I have a hangnail. Comedy is when you accidentally walk into an open sewer and die." Well, for a mercifully lighter version of that maxim in action, check out this series of photos. . . . Times are tough, but at least one blogger has a recipe for feeling better. (Hat tip: SD.)

6 Comments:

Blogger Dezmond said...

I think he's right on with Billy Joel. I've noticed that there are certain artists that I liked or loved when I was much younger that have aged well, and there are others that have not withstood the test of time or taste. Billy Joel is one of the worst offenders. Most of his stuff is unlistenable to me, these days. Except his live album "Songs From the Attic," that is still great for some reason.

6:45 PM  
Blogger JMW said...

Sure, Dez, I'm not saying that his canon has held up to intense scrutiny like, say, Men at Work's -- or even Colin Hay, who continues to produce brilliant solo work from a shed somewhere in southern Australia -- but still...

7:12 PM  
Blogger Dezmond said...

Dude, Colin Hay is in fact still putting out great stuff. I'd put even his most obscure solo material up against the dreck that is Billy Joel any day, any time, anywhere.

9:50 PM  
Blogger JMW said...

You have got to be kidding. Full stop.

1:02 AM  
Blogger Dezmond said...

I am not kidding.

7:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stop arguing and listen to the baby laugh.
It's contagious.
Sammy

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home