Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Fight, Cotton, Fight!

I know what you're thinking. OK, I don't really know, but I have a firm guess. You're thinking, what's with all the long posts on books? Where's all the material on mascots and giant squid and robots?

I share your concern.

It's true that since I stopped working for a major publisher, I've felt liberated to write more about books. It probably has something to do with not being affiliated with a particular producer of them, but it has even more to do with now having the time to actually read them. (It's an oft-expressed contradiction that still holds true: Publishing is not for readers.)

But I do see the need to shake things up a bit. That need is staring me right in the face. It haunts my sleep. It refuses to bring the check.

So here's a mascot for you. It arrives via my friend SL, who attended a school in Connecticut called Loomis Chaffee. That sounds like an unfortunately named line of underwear to me, but it appears to be a fine prep school. A fine prep school whose mascot is the Fighting Cotton Ball:


Wait, no. Sorry. Turns out that's a pelican. Go Pelicans!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home