Monday, May 07, 2007

Archive of the Day

From Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace:
Charlotte Treat looks over to Gately for some sort of help or Staff enforcement of dogma. The poor bitch is clueless. All of them are clueless, still. Gately reminds himself that he too is probably mostly still clueless, still, even after all these hundreds of days. 'I Didn't Know That I Didn't Know' is another of the slogans that looks so shallow for a while and then all of a sudden drops off and deepens like the lobster-waters off the North Shore. As Gately fidgets his way through daily A.M. meditation he always tries to remind himself daily that this is all an Ennet House residency is supposed to do: buy these poor yutzes some time, some thin pie-slice of abstinent time, till they can start to get a whiff of what's true and deep, almost magic, under the shallow surface of what they're trying to do.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dan Carlson said...

I haven't been able to get the PGOAT out of my head since I first read the book 3 years ago. I should really reread it.

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home