Saturday, February 04, 2006

Five Songs

Staying inside and blogging (and writing a bit for myself, you insatiable overlords) on the dreariest Saturday in recent memory probably hasn't done wonders for my mood. Listening to Bruce Springsteen's bleak, bleak Nebraska was just piling on. But it inspired me to start an occasional series of posts in which I recommend five songs I've listened to lately. You'll recognize many of them, but hopefully not all. It'll be fun. Trust me.

Highway Patrolman -- Bruce Springsteen

This is probably my favorite song on Nebraska (its only competition is "My Father's House," as if you care), an album that must have inspired hundreds of musicians to record really bad, highly detailed short stories against a backdrop of boring music. Somehow, though, the Boss pulled it off. And I love the delivery of the chorus on this song:

Me and Frankie laughin' and drinkin'
nothing feels better than blood on blood
takin' turns dancing with Maria
as the band played "Night of the Johnstown Flood"

Displaced -- Azure Ray

I guess one of the two women in Azure Ray is Conor Oberst's girlfriend. Maybe she's not anymore. Either way, this song is better than anything I've ever heard by ol' Bright Eyes.

I Started a Joke -- Low

This is a cover of a Bee Gees song, and if you know Low, you’ll wonder how that works out. It works out really, really well. It seems to only be available on their box set of b-sides and rarities, which retails for around 50 bucks. If you’ve got the cash and you're a fan, this song alone almost justifies the price. Otherwise, if you know me, I’ll burn it for you. (If you’re my sister, and your name rhymes with Tree, then it’s already being handled, so no need to put in a request.)

Here Comes the Sun -- The Beatles

I love the Beatles, and own a collection of music built largely on the foundation of their influence, and this is my favorite song of theirs. It's something I'm unapologetic about, but other Beatles fans almost never understand. If you want to support me, visit the comments section. If you want to disparage me, well, same place.

Carolina In My Mind -- James Taylor

I know the feeling, James. I'm right there with you.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Here Comes the Sun" may be my favorite Beatles song, too. That may be because my mom used to blast it on the stereo to wake us up before school.

"Hey, Jude" isn't a bad song, either.

-- The Comish (sic)

4:18 PM  
Blogger JMW said...

I like Hey, Jude, but I can't take those 23 minutes of na-na-na's that close it out. Just can't. It's the same basic reason I can't stand Sympathy for the Devil (who, who!)

My other favorite Beatles songs: In My Life (a clear second), Something, Let It Be, A Day in the Life, We Can Work It Out.

9:21 PM  
Blogger helen_boyd said...

it's my favorite beatles song too. & it's also the first song that made me cry, when it was played during the sunrise sequence in a Hayden Planetarium presentation. School trip, 2nd grade. I bought an eraser.

2:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home