Friday, November 25, 2005

Will the Real Parade Float Please Stand Up, Please Stand Up, Please Stand Up?

Thanksgiving was a big success -- heartwarming family time and all that, including a Scrabble game won by yours truly in very cheap fashion (scored big with "IQ" and "aw" at the end of the game to come from behind; I think I left just before the other participants organized an angry mob with torches).

Best moment of the day, though, came when my mother picked me up from the train station and notified me that there had been an accident at the Thanksgiving Day Parade. (Since everyone seems to be OK, it's fine to joke about this. Right? And refreshingly, according to the Washington Post, the father of the girls says the family won't sue, because it was "a freak accident," and "accidents just happen.")

Mom told me it was an M&M float that did the damage, and I jokingly asked if it was a float of the rapper Eminem. (I'm funny that way.) It turned out that was Mom's first thought when she heard the news. Leave aside the horrifying cultural ramifications of my Mom having replaced the delicious chocolate candies in her brain with someone who, if she heard even a line or two of his work, would send her into septic shock. I assured her that Western Civilization hadn't yet deteriorated to the point where the normal child-friendly floats like Dora the Explorer, Chicken Little, and Kermit the Frog had given way to an aggressively vulgar rapper. But I do think it would have been the funniest moment in New York history if parade organizers had bowed to pressure and allowed an Eminem float, only to have that float injure an 11-year-old girl in a wheelchair. Agreed?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I won at Scrabble on Thanksgiving, too! Scrabble losers are always sore even if it was a fair game. --tavia

1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home