Thursday, April 13, 2006

North Carolina: Easy on the Ears

Norm, over at the appropriately titled Normblog, is running the first poll I can remember him posting since I became a regular reader. This one asks you to name your five favorite state names in the U.S. From what I can tell, and it's what I think is great about this, he wants you to use only one standard: the way the name hits your ear.

To make the poll even more me-friendly, Norm asks that for just one of the states, you submit a song lyric you like that includes the name.

So, my five choices were: North Carolina (by far the prettiest state name, in my opinion; the rest were close calls), Tennessee, Iowa, Virginia, and Texas. I included the last not only because it's a decent name, which I think it is, but because it allowed me to send along this lyric from "This Old Porch" by Lyle Lovett:
And this old porch is the Palace walk-in
On the main street of Texas
That's never seen the day
Of G and R and Xs
With that '62 poster
That's almost faded down
And a screen without a picture
Since Giant came to town
Leave your own choices in the comments, but also let Norm know (there's a link to e-mail him found in the upper right corner of his site).

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is harder than i thought it would be.... on my first pass through the list of states, i wrote down 14 names! i'm going to go with these 5: maine, arizona, mississippi, alaska, wyoming.

more importantly, i discovered that some states have official beverages. who knew? new york's, unfortunately, is milk. blah. texas? dr. pepper. ugh. looks like i may be moving to alabama, the state with the sense to bestow this honor upon the only drink that truly deserves it: whiskey.

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home