Saturday, July 28, 2012

Thoughts About Songs

My friend and fellow blogger "Dez" has taken to listing his 24 favorite songs; a "a core set of songs" that he returns to calling his favorites with "no hesitancy." He started out with a song I love, but the fun of lists like his are the head-scratchers. To each his own. The only thing that has really ruffled feathers so far (Dez's favorite thing to do) was his declaration that "Eight Miles High" by the Byrds (a song I like by a band I love) is "the greatest single of the 1960s."

This exercise has gotten me to thinking about not just my favorite songs but songs that are very good at what they do. I'm trying to come up with my own way of listifying all of this, and hope to start something truly time-wasting soon.

In the meantime, I suppose the never-ending movie list needs freshening, and I keep meaning to round up some of the work I've done at the Times in one post. So look for movies and Times material in the next 24 hours or so, and then songs sometime after that.

If this sounds like an attempt to kick-start things around here: maybe. But I won't jinx it by actually declaring it. I've been away so long that the Blogger apparatus has completely changed. I'm writing on a very blank white screen right now that looks more retrograde than updated, so I can't even promise that this post will end up being properly published.

More soon?

3 Comments:

Blogger Dezmond said...

Are we on year three of your movie list?

2:45 PM  
Blogger Dezmond said...

I eagerly await your movie list. This weekend I went back and re-read your list up to this point, since it started many years ago.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Mike Lindgren said...

"Custard Pie," by Led Zeppelin.

12:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home